Monday, September 5, 2011

I never intended this blog to be anything more than a typical training/competition log for my jiu jitsu life but it has turned into a diary of my endeavor in life as a whole. My trials and tribulations have not only to do with my injuries and losses but also my low tolerance levels for travel agents and my lack of motivation to write among other things. Through writing this blog I've really been able to find that writing is a huge passion of mine. Sharing the thoughts in my head and having people read them is satisfying beyond belief.

Like my preface in the original post of this blog, I have no credibility under my belt as a writer. Looking back, I took a liking to it growing up but I have no real story to tell. I don't have a degree, I didn't live through a heartfelt tragedy. I hold no moral codes or hidden truths. But I do feel that I can write.

Tonight I saw the movie The Help. It's about racial discrimination and a young woman determined to expose the life and perspectives of the black maids in the south back in the 1960s. It made me laugh and it made me cry but the best part was Emma Stone's role of a passionate, driven, unique-minded individual with the ability to write. By watching this, I know that I not only want to write for a living but I want to write a book that will make people feel and perhaps expose them to a reality or relate to me on a personal level.

Maybe I had a hard time getting people to listen to me as a child and that's the reason for my constant urge to splurge out my thoughts on a regular basis. I may talk about other people sometimes or constantly joke or even complain a lot but the intuition I hold and the ability I have to put my thoughts down in concrete form can and will get me far. Believe it or not, I have "shit" to say. When Romulo told me to go be a writer after seeing how excited and motivated I was about my zine's first issue, I was offended. I was upset from a loss and putting all of this weight on my shoulders to be undefeated early on. I took it as if he was telling me to give up on jiu jitsu and move on to this new direction I was taking but I understand it a little better now. Sure, I can compete in jiu jitsu but my true "thing", my niche is in writing. I'm an emotional person and in fact, the more sensitive I am to a subject whether it be anger, sadness guilt or sympathy, etc, the better I write. Research papers are not my forte. Opinions are. That's worth somethin', right?

No comments:

Post a Comment