Saturday, November 6, 2010

Trial and Error..and error...

I've wanted to start my zine for a couple months now. Just to let you understand the importance of my finishing this, I am a starter and rarely a finisher. I am constantly driven by ideas that are usually found to be crazy and when I start them, I need to start them RIGHT THEN AND THERE. The night I figured out that I wanted to write and distribute a zine I was badgering multiple friends to help me think of a name. When they told me, "we'll figure it out" or "I dunno," I pretty much dismissed them out of my project altogether. It's not exactly the best trait to be so impatient but since I'm learning to be positive, I'll say that it's actually a great trait to be driven, a self-starter and so stoked on projects I'm passionate about.

Today I officially printed 100 copies of Pulling Guard Zine Issue 1 after many set backs small and large. I knew I had to make it something great for people to read and I also knew what I wanted people to know. Romulo being such a great influence on me and others, I could gain readers as well as share the guy I love so much. I initiated my friend Chantel into the process which kick started my drive again. I got the interview done with Romulo on Wednesday, transcribed the video that night while Chantel edited it amazingly for me. Thursday I chose which questions I wanted to put in the final draft, (only used about 30%), put the final touches on everything but the back page on Friday and today I finished it, got the okay from Professor to publish and drove straight to kinkos. Now, having to make half-pages in order is not an easy feat. There are easy ways to do so like numbering them but of course I decided to just switch things around in Word and print it out only to find that I didn't do it right 4 times in a row. By the time that I figured out the order, I realized that in order to be able to fold some double-sided papers in half to create a booklet, I would need to have no less than 2 full papers. 6 pages in the booklet would mean trying to put in a half page and that just would not work. Math IS relevant outside of grade school! Figuring out fonts that were readable (thanks Mom, you were a great editor for that) was difficult because I wanted to use the handwritten fonts I had downloaded. Zines are meant to be drawn, hand-written and cut-and-paste then xeroxed. I put my standards a bit higher by creating it on the computer legibly but still attempted to make it D-I-Y looking at the same time. You'll have to let me know if I succeeded.

When it came to copies I had no idea what it was going to cost me and knew my budget (quite small). I ended up having the guy who worked there put the initial booklet copy for me then I grabbed all different colored paper and went to town. An hour later, copies were done! I had to have a certain stapler that wasn't available to me at home so I checked staples, office depot and office max only to find $30 staplers. No thanks. The copy center at office depot allowed me to use theirs at no cost. My mom helped me staple and fold. Staples were ripping the paper then after almost half, we realized they weren't being stapled in the right place. Do over. Then about 3/4 the way through I said "Why is Benny on the page next to the page with Romulo?....OH MY GOD it's in the wrong order." Do over. An hour later we were done! It may have some holes in the fold, some of them refuse to be stapled and you should watch out for the stray staples that were inaccurately placed. BUT it's done and No-Gi Worlds is tomorrow where I can distribute it.

I've been asked why I am doing this and what I expect to get out of it. I love when people read what I write. It took me awhile to realize that my writing is worth..writing and that it really is what I love doing. Like people listening to a song I wrote, seeing my colored papers scattered throughout the Long Beach Pyramid in the hands of fellow BJJ enthusiasts is what will make this trial and many error process all worth it. I have put more money than I can currently afford into this project and not once have I regretted it so far. Just the fact that I actually finished it is a real fulfilling feeling. So on that note, if you'd like a copy in order to read about my great friend Benny and Professor Romulo Barral feel free to request a copy! It will be so appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Yeah, I definitely sympathise on just wanting people to read your stuff: I feel much the same way, and I still get a huge kick out of comments and emails on my site, or even when I post something on a thread somewhere. It will be interesting to see what feedback you get after distribution.

    Romulo must be one of the most experienced interviewees around by this point: that injury has been a real boon for interviewers! ;)

    Oh, and yay paragraphs! ;p

    ReplyDelete