Monday, November 29, 2010

Arizona, Anaheim, Irvine

Two weeks ago I was sitting at home on a Sunday being lazy and trying to get a photoshoot together when I got a text from my teammate asking me if I wanted to go to Arizona and train at Megaton's since that is his academy when he goes back home on the weekends. I didn't put much thought into it before I decided to watch some more 16 and Pregnant, eat more cookies, finally take a shower, pack my things and get a rise to meet him.

The following morning I met up with Mackenzie Dern to have a private. I can speak volumes of this girl and not that she needs the vouching, but she knows her stuff. We rolled and took turns passing guard and she stopped me whenever she saw an obvious flaw in my game. I learned a nifty grip break, an armbar from 50/50, a simple x guard sweep, two singles, an awesome secret throw, a new way to pass guard and lots of little details. I was actually afraid I wasn't going to remember it all! It was a great experience and I think the best part was when she had me do a technical stand-up and she went "its not surfing!!" Considering who her dad is, that's a very very watered down version of what he would say.

That night I took the beginner's class and ended up making a total buffoon of myself. The warm up at that academy is way different than anything I'd ever done, not to mention tough. I felt like it was my first time on the mat at some army boot camp! I got beat with a stick and my blonde hair came into play with a dummy joke from Megaton-- hey, not the first time. By the time open mat came around I barely had enough energy to roll. A real good juvenile blue belt Isaac kicked my ass and handed it to me. He wins adult divisions and trains hard so I GUESS the ass whooping was understandable.... All around a good trip.

Recently since I'm in between jobs I've been coming (I say coming instead of going because I'm currently sitting in Irvine) to the OC to train at Gracie Barra Headquarters and Ralph Gracie Anaheim. I've trained in the instructor's class twice now in Irvine and I'm surprised I survived. 6-8 black belts on the mat, it's a blessing. Anaheim being my second home continues to provide great training for me and as always a really fun and great group to be around. (Awwwww)

My first zine has been doing okay. I recently sent out some copies to Denver, Missouri, Boston, England, Canada, Brazil and Canada. If you would like to help and distribute to your academy, please email your address! It's free! PullingGuardZine@gmail.com And feedback is always great!

No comments:

Post a Comment